Monday, May 28, 2007

Jammin' with high tech...

Tripped across a new use of the termed "jammed" today. New for me at least. In a recent article in the NY Times A High-End Remote for a High-Tech Life journalist Anne Eisenberg describes Logitech's recent offering in the market of universal remotes. As part of her review, she mentions ways in which she needed to get help while setting the thing up.

At one point, she writes: "Some of the fixes were minor: for instance, when the remote jammed, I took out the battery and popped it back in."


Usually, I expect to hear "jammed" to refer to a door that's hard to open, to the paper stuck in a copier, to a paper shredder, or to date myself, to entangled typewriter keys.

It's kind of quaint to think about the term being used for a digital device.

I might start using it myself. It sounds so much more innocuous than "crashed" or "hung." Like something that might happen around the house - no big deal.

I particularly liked the way she describes "unjamming" the remote: just remove the batteries and put them back.

Does any of this bother anyone in any way? Once we become accustomed to digital devices "jamming" will manufacturers create easier ways to "unjam" them? Will the competition think of ways to prevent them from jamming in the first place? Why do we have to wait?

more...

No comments: